Do You Need To Send A Thank You Email After An Interview
Its recommended that you send a thank you email after each job interview you attend. Doing so shows the employer that you appreciate their time, and just as importantly, that youre still interested in the position. After attending an interview, the employer isnt sure that you still want this job .
So its important to write a thank you message and to reaffirm your interest in the position and tell them that youre eager to hear about the next steps. If you dont say this, they wont know!
The Power To Get You Hired Amidst Close Competition
How do recruiters, hiring managers, business owners, start-upfounders, and pretty much everyone in the hiring profession choose betweenequally promising candidates?
Sometimes, it comes down to cultural fit, other times personalitybecomes a deciding factor. But what if both seem equally nice and perfect withthe team?
Thats when a thank you note can make all the difference. Leslie Saul, Owner of Leslie Saul andAssociates architecture and design company, shared this story:
One time, my team was stumpeddeciding among three good candidates. I met all the candidates, and alsothought anyone of them would be a great addition to the team.
Two days later, I received ahandwritten thank you note from one of the candidates. He also wrote a note tothe staff who interviewed him. The second candidate sent a thank you note via email,while the third one didnt contact any of us. In the end, I hired Mr.Handwritten Note Guy. He turned out to be a great hire!
Now that you know how to write a thank you email after an interview, it’s time to put the examples and points above to good usehelping secure your new position.
What Kind Of Follow
In the same Accountemps survey, hiring managers were asked about both which methods they preferred to receive follow-ups through as well as which methods were most commonly used.
For both of these questions, the top answer was always email, followed closely by phone.
Other methods, such as handwritten note, social media, and text message, were all listed as survey answers, but received considerably lower results particularly text message, which only 10% of those surveyed listed as an appropriate way to follow up with a hiring manager.
Most importantly, email is faster than sending a letter, and time is of the essence here. Hiring managers and recruiters are used to receiving post-interview emails, so thats where theyll expect it.
There are a few situations where sending a follow-up letter might be better. If its a very senior position or a very traditional industry or company, a card can be appropriate.
If you decide to go with a phone call follow-up, keep a few things in mind. For one thing, odds are that a phone conversation is going to be a lot shorter than any sort of email follow-up.
It just doesnt make sense in most follow-up phone calls to talk about the specifics of the position, or to go on at length about things youre looking forward to.
Secondly, the phone follow-up is listed a bit lower on the survey in terms of appropriateness, in addition to which you will have a harder time planning out your response in any real methodical way.
Also Check: Top 10 Behavioral Questions
What Should You Include In Your Thank
Now that you know why you should write an email to your interviewer, what should you include? A few things to keep in mind might be:
- Your interviewers name Please make sure that you address the hiring manager by their name, and triple-check that youve spelled it correctly. Its not good to start an email with Hi, Interviewer.
- The position you interviewed for They might have interviewed a number of candidates for different roles. Make it easy for them to recall you quickly.
- The companys name This is a pitfall to avoid, especially if youre using a template letter to send your thank-you notes.
- What you can offer the company Write about what you can do for them, not what they can do for you.
- A link to your Resume Even if they have a copy of your resume on file, providing a link to a digital copy of that information can make it easier for your interviewer to find you. If youve created a public resume on Resumonk, you can share that link in your emails signature.
- A memorable detail from your interview Add something in your email that will set you apart from the rest of the people that your interviewer may have spoken to that day. This could be a reference to a tricky question you answered, a debate that you and the interviewer had, or something unrelated that you spoke about, like a shared hometown or a favorite sports team.
Additional Tips & Advice
You can find lots of advice on how to write a thank you email after your interview, but its important to remember that not all the advice will apply to you. However there is one rule everyone should followsend it within 24 hours.
Youll find additional recommendations and tips to help you make the best decisions for sending a thank you based on your interview situation.
Read Also: Preparing For System Design Interview
Final Thoughts On Thank You Emails
Post-interview short thank you emails are easy to write. You can send them after phone interviews, second interviews, or anytime during the hiring process.
Crafting a good concise email with the points listed above will hopefully help put you over the top and get you the job offer you deserve.
What To Do When You Are Declined A Position
You will not always get the job you want. Its hard to fit perfectly into a companys needs. So dont take it personally if you are contacted following a job interview and told you didnt get the job. Instead, treat this as a learning opportunity.
When a recruiter contacts you with the bad news, thank him/her again for the consideration but also ask a couple of questions. First, explain that you would like to improve your interviewing skills and ask for suggestions on how you can interview better in the future. Second, ask if there any qualifications or experiences that would make you a more appealing candidate.
You may or may not get specific feedback, but theres a chance you will learn something valuable for future interviews.
Read Also: Interview With Cfo
Recap Of Your Qualifications
Next, provide a short recap of your experience and background. The interviewer should already be aware of these qualifications after reading your resume and meeting with you, so this section should be brief. Connect your qualifications to the position and its unique requirements to express why you are such a strong candidate for the job. For example, you can write, My social media and search engine marketing expertise would make me an excellent candidate for this marketing role.
I Need To Hear Back From You By
Hopefully, you and the recruiter discussed the hiring timeline during the interview. If you didnt, you might think that the thank-you note is a perfect time to ask when they will make a decision. But its not. It only comes across as rude and desperate. In this case, the best you can do is say, I look forward to hearing from you soon, and wait it out.
If you do have an offer from another company on the table, its polite to let the other employer know and ask when they might have a decision on their end so you can weigh your options. The operative word there is askyou dont want to dole out rude demands.
You May Like: Mailscoop Io
How To Write A Thank You Email After An Interview
Many candidates dont know whether to send out a thank you letter after an interview.
Heres the answer:
Nowadays its perfectly fine for your follow-up letter to be in the form of an email. Below are some recommendations from hiring managers and talent professionals on how to make your follow up most effective.
Skip to the bottom of the page for:
What To Write In Your Thank
Ideally, your note or email should include an expression of strong or enhanced interest in the job after meeting with the interview team. In addition, incorporate a concise statement regarding why you think the position is an excellent fit, as well as an expression of gratitude for their time and input.
You can also add any information about your qualifications that you neglected to share during the meeting. Heres more information about how to write a thank-you note for a job interview.
Read Also: Questions To Ask The Cfo In An Interview
What Subject Line Should You Use For Your Thank You Note
Sometimes coming up with a subject line can be the hardest part of writing an email! In this case, you don’t need to go crazy something short and to the point will do just fine. My recommendations are:
- Thank you for your time today
- Following up from our interview today
- It was great speaking with you
- Thank you!
Any of those will do the trick!
An Interview Follow Up Email That Stands Out
A personalized thank you letter helps you stand out.
Refer to what was discussed in your conversation to reinforce your interest in the opportunity, says Kelleher. Cheung agrees that it is important to Not give platitudes applicable to any position and every company.
If youre doing many interviews, write down a few notes after each one while everything is fresh in your mind. That way, you can accurately reference discussions and key points in your interview follow-up email.
Cheung also advises candidates to, Discuss what makes you better, for the position. Think about areas where professors or internship supervisors said you excelled. For instance, if youre a candidate for an accounting position, bring up any awards or compliments from performance appraisals that are relevant to the position.
Don’t Miss: Interview Questions For A Cfo
More Information About Interview Thank You Notes
- Turning Rejection into Opportunity the thank you after you are turned down for the job
About the author
Online job search expert Susan P. Joyce has been observing the online job search world and teaching online job search skills since 1995. A veteran of the United States Marine Corps and a recent Visiting Scholar at the MIT Sloan School of Management, Susan is a two-time layoff graduate who has worked in human resources at Harvard University and in a compensation consulting firm. Since 1998, Susan has been editor and publisher of Job-Hunt.org. Follow Susan on Twitter at and on , .
The Following Is A Checklist To Use When Editing Your Thank You Letter:
- Ive used the correct names
- then Ive used correct grammar and spelling
- next, I have clear, concise sentences that make sense
- in addition, the letter is orderly, short and concise, and easy and enjoyable to read
- Ive used a professional and academic tone and style
In general, ensure the presentation of your grad school interview thank you letter, whether via post or email is clean, sharp, and professional. Make sure your stationary and email address are professional.
Don’t Miss: Design Interview Preparation
Thank You For Your Time
Writing a thank-you email after an interview is an important part of getting the job you applied for. Not only are you showing your appreciation and professionalism, but it also leaves a positive impression on the interviewer and potential future employer.
Unfortunately, its much too easy to forget to send that all-important email. To avoid this, we recommend you try out the Send Later function from Mailbird an email management tool where you can check and organize multiple email accounts in one place.
Pro tip: Add your own signature to the end of the email to come across like an expert.
Get Mailbird, the Best Email Client for Business
PR & Media Relations Supporting the team by communicating Mailbird and its great features to existing and potential users and media.
Best Thank You Email Samples After An Interview
Below, youll find four good sample thank-you emails. These can also be sent as a typed or handwritten note if you prefer.
Later in the article, Ill cover the pros and cons of sending this via email versus a handwritten thank you letter/note. So if youre not sure which to send, make sure to read until the end.
For now, just know that you can use these sample thank you emails in both cases.
Read Also: Interview Attire Women
How To Write The Perfect Thank
Congratulations youve landed an interview for the job of your dreams, and nailed every single question the interviewer asked you.
Now its just time to head home and wait for your phone to ring, right?
Not if you actually want to get the job.
Your next step after leaving the interview should be to send your interviewer a thank-you email. It doesnt have to be elaborate or poetic, but you need to thank them for taking the time to speak with you.
Thank You After Interview Email Best Practices
Here are some general best practices for writing your interview thank you message:
- Send the email within a few hours of the interview.
- Be polite and professional in your language.
- Highlight things you liked about the job, company, culture, and mission statementMission StatementA mission statement defines what line of business a company is in, and why it exists or what purpose it serves.. (You can use this opportunity to elicit a reply to your email by turning things around by writing, Id be interested to hear what you think are the companys core values.
- Mention your skills and strengths that best match the job opportunity and what you learned from the interview about what the company is most looking for from the person who is ultimately chosen to fill the position.
- Dont appear overconfident by sounding as if you just assume that you got the job.
- Be sure to actually say the words, thank you.
- Offer to answer any additional or follow-up questions the interviewer may have.
Read Also: What To Wear For An Interview Women
When Should You Follow Up After An Interview
How Long Should You Wait After an Interview to Follow Up? You should follow up five business days after your job interview if you havent heard feedback from the employer. Or, if the employer provided an expected date for feedback after the interview, follow up one business day after that date has passed.
Prompt To Take The Next Step
To close the thank-you note, encourage the hiring manager to take the next step in the hiring process. Reference what you learned during the interview to complete this section since you may need to provide references or complete a second interview to get the job. For example, you can write, Please don’t hesitate to contact me to arrange a follow-up interview.
Also Check: Best Interview Clothes For A Woman
Use A Proper Greeting
In the case of a follow-up thank-you note after a remote interview, you have already spoken with the person to whom you are addressing your email. Whether you had a remote interview on the phone or by way of a video conference, you should take note of how you addressed the interviewer at that time.
If you begin your conversation by addressing them formally , but they then instructed you to call them by their first name, it is acceptable to continue to do so when you send a follow up thank you email. However, if the subject was not addressed specifically in the interview, using formalities and their last name is still appropriate.
How Do I Write An Interview Thank You Letter
You May Like: Best Interview Attire For A Woman
Types Of Thank You Letters
Thank you letters are essential to building strong professional relationships. These letters play an integral role in conveying professionalism, courtesy, and gratitude from different aspects. Its fundamental to thank people you associate with professionally to build fruitful, long-lasting business partnerships. Consider the letters below as a guide for writing and addressing thank you notes.
1. Job Interview Thank You LettersSending a thank you message to a potential employer after an interview is an excellent way to emphasize your interest in the job. Remind the employer why you are the ideal candidate for the role, as well as address any concerns that might not have been tackled well during the interview.
2. Thank You Letters for Recommendations and ReferencesSending a thank you message to your references or people who write recommendation letters for you is an excellent way to show your appreciation for the help they gave you during your job search.
3. Professional/ Business related Appreciation LettersExpressing your gratitude to everyone who has assisted you with your career, a business or job search is an excellent way to establish and maintain strong relationships. This can include clients, vendors, employers, colleagues, and your networking contacts.
Sending appreciation notes to your employees is an excellent way to recognize their hard work, foster healthy relationships and boost morale in the working environment.