What Characteristics Do You Think A Good Network Administrator Should Have
Employers want to see that you value the same things that they do. With this question, you can show that you understand what it takes to be a good network administrator.
Example:”I think a good network administrator needs a couple of qualities. For starters, they should be good at solving problems. When something went wrong with our network at my last job, I needed to be able to figure out what it was and implement a solution quickly. They should also enjoy learning new things.
As technology is always changing, you want a network administrator who is keeping up to date on not only the latest innovations but the newest threats as well. That’s why I read the latest tech journals as frequently as I can and attend conferences each year. Lastly, network administrators should have strong communication skills, so that they can effectively work with everyone else involved on the team and let them know what’s going on with the network.”
What Is The Mac Address And How Is It Related To Nic
MAC address is the Media Access Control address. It is a 48-bit or 64-bit unique identifier of devices in the network. It is also called the physical address embedded with Network Interface Card used at the Data Link Layer. NIC is a hardware component in the networking device using which a device can connect to the network.
Explain When You Would Use Straight Cables And Cross Cables
This is a common question used to make sure you know the basics. Use it as an opportunity to demonstrate some expertise.
Example:”I am quite familiar with both straight and cross cables, thanks to one of my previous jobs. There, the company had all sorts of computers, routers and hubs that needed to be connected together. I used the cross cables when connecting computers to other computers, or hubs to other hubs. The straight cables were for when I needed to connect a computer to a hub, router, switch or modem. There were a lot of wires lying around, but I eventually got it all arranged correctly.”
Recommended Reading: How To Prepare Yourself For An Interview
Networking Specialist Interview Questions
Networking specialists set up, maintain, and monitor their organizations’ computer networks to ensure they are functioning correctly. They install, inspect, secure, and troubleshoot computer networks, operate help desks, and perform physical maintenance.
When interviewing networking specialists, look for candidates who demonstrate in-depth knowledge of networking and its related software. Be wary of candidates who lack excellent communication skills in both technical and non-technical language.
- Completely free trial, no card required.
- Reach over 250 million candidates.
What Is The Full Form Of Ads
- ADS stands for Active Directory Structure.
- ADS is a microsoft technology used to manage the computers and other devices.
- ADS allows the network administrators to manage the domains, users and objects within the network.
- ADS consists of three main tiers:
- Domain: Users that use the same database will be grouped into a single domain.
- Tree: Multiple domains can be grouped into a single tree.
- Forest: Multiple trees can be grouped into a single forest.
Recommended Reading: How To Study For Coding Interviews
What Are The Different Types Of Networks
Networks can be divided on the basis of area of distribution. For example:
- PAN : Its range limit is up to 10 meters. It is created for personal use. Generally, personal devices are connected to this network. For example computers, telephones, fax, printers, etc.
- LAN : It is used for a small geographical location like office, hospital, school, etc.
- HAN : It is actually a LAN that is used within a house and used to connect homely devices like personal computers, phones, printers, etc.
- CAN : It is a connection of devices within a campus area which links to other departments of the organization within the same campus.
- MAN : It is used to connect the devices which span to large cities like metropolitan cities over a wide geographical area.
- WAN : It is used over a wide geographical location that may range to connect cities and countries.
- GAN : It uses satellites to connect devices over global are.
What Form Of Authentication Can Someone Use To Access The Network
A recruiter or hiring manager asks this question to evaluate your expertise in network access protocol. There are several forms of authentication a network administrator can use. So it’s recommended to focus on options that increase the level of security in your response.
Example:”There are several forms of authentication someone can use to access a network, depending on the company’s requirements and security protocol. For example, authentication factors include email verification, passwords, tokens, security questions, personal identification numbers or PINs, and biometric scans. I recommend using a minimum of two-factor authentication when setting up network access protocols.”
Also Check: How To Correctly Answer Interview Questions
What Is Osi And What Role Does It Play In Computer Networks
OSI serves as a reference model for data communication. It is made up of 7 layers, with each layer defining a particular aspect of how network devices connect and communicate with one another. One layer may deal with the physical media used, while another layer dictates how data is transmitted across the network.
List Different Types Of Networks
There are in total, 5 different types of networks:
Such a network allows the connection amongst the devices present over a range of person. For example,phones connected throughBluetooth.
LAN is a privately-owned network that works within a building or between a nearby building. For example, at home, office or factory.
As the namesuggests, MAN is a type of network that is present in a whole city. For example, a cable connection in a city.
It is spread over a large geographical area. For example, Internet service that is spread all across a country.
One of thebest-knownGAN is the Internet itself that connects the whole world/globe with the help of satellites. The Internet isalso known as the Network of WANs.
Don’t Miss: What To Answer In An Interview
What Is The Firewall
The firewall is a network security system that is used to monitor the incoming and outgoing traffic and blocks the same based on the firewall security policies. It acts as a wall between the internet and the networking devices . It is either a hardware device, software program, or a combination of both. It adds a layer of security to the network.
Advanced Networking Interview Questions For Experienced
Gunning for a senior position or leadership role in network engineering? Dont attend the interview until you review these interview questions for network engineers in executive roles.
34. What does FTP mean?
One of the big legacy protocols that ought to be phased out is FTP or File Transfer Protocol. FTP may resume downloads if they are paused and are primarily intended for massive file transfers. There are two methods for gaining access to an FTP server: Anonymous access and Standard Login.
The main difference between the two is that while a Standard Login requires an active user login, Anonymous access does not. The user’s credentials are delivered in cleartext using FTP, which makes it exceedingly easy for anyone listening on the wire to sniff the credentials. This is where the main issue with FTP resides.
35. What is SSH?
SSH, or Secure Shell, is most popular among Linux users but has a wide range of applications. Systems, switches, thermostats, or toasters, may all be connected securely over a tunnel, thanks to SSH. SSH also offers the unique ability to act as a tunnel for other programs, which is conceptually comparable to a VPN. If configured properly, even insecure programs or programs operating via insecure connections can be used in a secure state.
36. What is ICMP?
ICMP stands for Internet Control Message Protocol. Its main function is to inform systems when they attempt a remote connection whether the other end is accessible.
37. What is IPX?
Read Also: How To Rock An Interview
What Is A Gateway Is There Any Difference Between A Gateway And Router
A node that is connected to two or more networks is commonly known as a gateway. It is also known as a router. It is used to forward messages from one network to another. Both the gateway and router regulate the traffic in the network.
Differences between gateway and router:
A router sends the data between two similar networks while gateway sends the data between two dissimilar networks.
Q29 What Is A Mac Address And Why Is It Required
MAC or Media Access Control address is a computerâs unique number assigned to a Network Interface Controller . It is a 48-bit number that identifies each device on a network and is also referred to as the physical address. MAC addresses are used as a network address for communications within a network such as an Ethernet, Wi-Fi, etc.
Don’t Miss: How To Prepare For The Citizenship Interview
Q31 Explain What Is Dns
DNS or Domain Name System is a naming system for devices connected over the internet. It is a hierarchical and decentralized system that translates domain names to the numerical IP Addresses which is required to identify and locate devices based on the underlying protocols.
All devices connected to the internet have unique IP addresses which are used to locate them on the network. The process involves conversion on hostnames into IP addresses. For example, in case the user wants to load some web page , this hostname is converted into an IP address that can be understood by the computer in order to load that web page.
Computer Networks Interview Questions And Answers Guide
Answer:-This article describes how to change a computer’s Domain Name System server or servers from the command line, either locally or remotely. This operation requires you to use the Regfind.exe tool from either the Microsoft Windows NT Server Resource Kit or the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit. MORE INFORMATIONWARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.To change a computer’s Domain Name System server or servers from the command line, type: regfind -p HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpipparameters “old DNS value” -r “new DNS value”Where old DNS value is the value the server currently has, and new DNS value is the new value you want to use. The format is dotted decimal notation.You can also perform the…
Can You Explain What Lan Is
LAN refers to Local Area Network. It is the network between devices located in a remote physical location. It can be either wired or wireless. LANs differ from each other based on given factors:
- Protocol – rules for data transfer
- Media – medium for connecting like twisted pair wires and optic fibers
- Topology – arrangement of nodes in the network
What Do You Understand By Network Topology
A network topology is the physical representation of a computer network. It shows how computers orother devices are connected to each other with the help of cables. There are mainly 6 types of network topologies and This is the most frequently Network Interview question asked :
- In a bus topology, all the nodes are connected to only one common cable called as the central cable or the bus.
- This type of topology is safe for only a small number of devices.
- If the bus stops working or gets damaged, the whole network fails to work.
- In this topology, all the nodes are connected to a single devicecalled the central device.
- Star topology needs a lot of cables. If one cable fails, only a specific device stops working.
- It is a strong topology.
- It is mostly used in office and home networks.
- It is very easy to install, manage and troubleshoot.
- In this topology, a node is exactly connected to two or more nodes. Thus, it forms a one-way transmission system.
- There is no central server here.
- It is rarely used at it is expensive.
- Mesh is a type of topology in which all nodes are connected to other nodes individually.
- It is a strong topology as failure of any one cable would only destroy a single node.
- It is a combination of Star and Bus topology.
- It is also known as the extended star topology.
- Ethernet protocol is used in this topology.
- There is no effect on the other nodes if one of them stops working.
Linux Networking Interview Questions And Answers Pdf
Famous Linux Networking Interview Questions And Answers Pdf References. Your employer will try to know how you guarantee stability, performance and security. It will remove directories and subdirectories and also their contents.
It will delete the file with name file.txt. Linux is an operating system based on unix and was first introduc ed by linus torvalds. Explain permission types in linux.
Top 100 networking interview questions & answers 1) what is a link? What are different network bonding modes used in linux?
Using free& vmstat command, we can display the physical and virtual memory statistics, respectively. Different network bonding modes used in linux are listed below:
Each file or directory has three permissions in linux. You may get overwhelmed with various types of why,.
Question # 30 explain network bonding? You can use this command to test both the computer name and the ip address of the computer.
Explain permission types in linux. We divided the interview questions into four categories as basic, admin, technical and command based questions.
It is a system where a set of. His final aim is both to.
It is a system where a set of. A link refers to the connectivity between two devices.
Source: ebezpieczni.orgSource: www.tecmint.comSource: www.scribd.com
Network Engineering Interview Questions
The Indeed Editorial Team comprises a diverse and talented team of writers, researchers and subject matter experts equipped with Indeed’s data and insights to deliver useful tips to help guide your career journey.
It’s important to prepare for any interview so you can provide answers that help a hiring manager understand more about you as a candidate and potential new hire. The interview process is your time to showcase your experience, education and knowledge of the position you’re applying for, so consider rehearsing interview questions as part of your preparation. You can ask a trusted friend to help you and, later, display more confidence during the interview with an employer.
In this article, we share 35 interview questions you may receive when applying for a role as a network engineer, with sample answers for five of them.
Read Also: How To Crack Coding Interview Book
Explain Dhcp In Brief
- DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.
- It automatically gives IP addresses to the network devices on its own.
- It cuts off any need to add IP addresses through a person. This reduces chances of errors.
- Bottom line, DHCP has a collection of IP addressesthrough which it provides IP addresses to the network devices.
- The whole process is centralized. Therefore, TCP/IP configuration is also done from a central location.
Top Networking Interview Questions
1. Define Network?
A network is a set of devices connected by physical media links. A network is recursively is a connection of two or more nodes by a physical link or two or more networks connected by one or more nodes.
2. What is a Link?At the lowest level, a network can consist of two or more computers directly connected by some physical medium such as coaxial cable or optical fiber. Such a physical medium is called as Link.
3. What is a node?A network can consist of two or more computers directly connected by some physical medium such as coaxial cable or optical fiber. Such a physical medium is called as Links and the computer it connects is called as Nodes.
4. What is a gateway or Router?A node that is connected to two or more networks is commonly called as router or Gateway. It generally forwards message from one network to another.
5. What is point-point link?If the physical links are limited to a pair of nodes it is said to be point link.
6. What is Multiple Access?If the physical links are shared by more than two nodes, it is said to be Multiple Access.
7. What are the advantages of Distributed Processing?
8. What are the criteria necessary for an effective and efficient network?a. PerformanceIt can be measured in many ways, including transmit time and response time.
b. ReliabilityIt is measured by frequency of failure, the time it takes a link to recover from a failure, and the networks robustness.
- Unauthorized Access
e. Error Control
Also Check: How To Prepare For A Culture Fit Interview
Q6 Explain What Is Lan
A LAN or Local Area Network the network between devices that are located within a small physical location. It can be either wireless or wired. One LAN differs from another based on the following factors:
- Topology: The arrangement of nodes within the network
- Protocol: Refer to the rules for the transfer of data
- Media: These devices can be connected using optic fibers, twisted-pair wires, etc
Please Explain The Potential Difference Between The Internet Intranet And Extranet
These terms can be described as a way network applications are being accessed.
Internet – Everyone and anyone around the world can access the applications
Intranet – Only authorized users from the organization can access the application for which it has been built.
Extranet – Selected external users are allowed to use the application which was built for the Internet
Also Check: How To Conduct An Online Interview