Case Study: Tata Hisarna Project
A consortium of European steel manufacturers, universities, and research organizations chose India-based steelmaker Tata Steel to execute a project to develop new steelmaking technology that was more efficient and reduced emissions. This case, runner-up in the 2019 Decision Sciences Institute Case Competition, describes the way in which the project was developed and executed.
How Do You Deal With Scope Creep
An essential part of project management is making sure a project stays within the original budget and deadline. Scope creep includes anything that changes within the project that could cause you to miss your targets. Your answer will help the interviewer gain insight into the way you manage resources and handle obstacles. You can use an example of how you were able to manage scope creep in one of your projects.
Example:Scope creep is one thing that I watch for daily. I once had a massive project that included building an entire website, plus applications that would work on all phone and tablet operating systems. We needed to deliver everything in a year, and it was a multimillion dollar project.
I decided to split the project up into small portions that we could work on month by month. I planned weeks ahead as we approached a new month based on client feedback from what we had already presented to them. The project constantly changed based on needs and feedback, and it could have easily gone far over budget and time. With strict time management and communication, we were able to deliver a complete project in 12 months.
Questions To Ask The Interviewer
The famous, do you have any questions for me? Do you have any other questions? I know, sometimes its hard to come up with smart questions, especially when youre nervous or when the meeting was so helpful that all your questions were clarified already. Because of that, you need to be extra prepared, you need to have some extra questions to ask in case you run out of ideas and want to show your interest in the company and job. Here are some questions you can ask:
You May Like: Cracking The Coding Interview Audiobook
How To Draw Mece Issue Trees Use Frameworks
Each problem requires an unique issue tree. Coming up with MECE and spot-on issue trees for each problem can be really difficult. This is where framework helps.
Think of frameworks as frequently used templates to draw issue trees in any particular context. Many people use the word framework to refer to issue tree but this is conceptually incorrect.
We will talk about frameworks in more detail in the below chapters. You can also check out this deep-dive article on Frameworks.
How To Become A Project Manager With Pmp Training In Rochester
A project manager is expected to possess good decision-making ability with feasible process flow. Along with added knowledge in PMP training, you can gain in-depth education in project management methodologies.
Here is how you become a project manager with PMP training in Rochester.
Recommended Reading: How To Prepare For A Sales Interview
Which Was One Of The Biggest Mistakes You Have Committed In Your Past Projects How Has It Impacted Your Approach To Work
To err is human, they say. It is how you deal with the errors that define your skills. By asking this project management interview question, the interviewer intends to check your honesty and whether you take responsibility of mistakes you have made in your past projects. Rather than giving a no for the answer, you can mention a couple of mistakes. Make sure you show that you take responsibility for the mistake as it is a way to reveal your maturity level. Also, you can explain how you had resolved it.
Practise With A Friend
Provide the individual with whom you’re practising with a list of prospective case study questions and then practise answering these questions aloud. Include each stage in your process of determining an answer to the question. Practise with someone knowledgeable with case study interviews or consulting in general, as they can provide important input during your role-playing sessions.
Don’t Miss: How To Pass A Behavioral Interview
Case Study Interview Questions About Customer Success
Has the customer found success with your product? Ask these questions to learn more.
What Are The Techniques That You Can Use To Collect Project Requirements
Requirement collection and final concurrence happen with the project stakeholders with the help of functional experts and business analysts.
The crucial techniques used for requirement gathering are:
- Affinity diagram
- Prioritization of the requirements by using techniques like MoSCoW
Gathered requirements can be classified into different categories such as transition, reliability, functional, non-functional, security, quality, and regulatory and user-interface-drive. They help the team in visualizing different aspects of the project requirements and addressing them accordingly.
Read Also: How To Interview A Software Developer
Reason : Globally Acknowledged
Who should become PMP certified? Anyone who wants the freedom to work anywhere in the world. The PMP certification is one of those credentials whose reputation precedes them, recognized and sought-after the world over . Achieving the PMP certification helps professionals demonstrate and showcase their skills and expertise to potential employers across the globe.
A Hotel In Kuala Lumpur Malaysia Is A Customer Of A Corporation Their Core Consumer Base Consists Primarily Of International Visitors What Are Some Of The Characteristics That These Consumers Would Look For In A Hotel What Factors Could Impact Their Decision To Stay At The Client’s Hotel
This question is a market-sizing or guesstimate query. Hiring managers ask these types of questions to test a candidate’s ability to appraise the features or characteristics that a business or customer would value most in a certain circumstance. These questions also assess the candidate’s critical thinking skills. In your answer, try to include specific technical details to show your business knowledge.
Recommended Reading: Interview Questions To Ask Receptionist
Different Classification Of Requirements
Knowledge Area: Project Scope Management
- The detailed project requirements will have to be collected from the various stakeholders. In the case of an ERP, we need to collect requirements from all levels of stakeholders. We need to understand the expectations of CXO level stakeholders, department head level stakeholders, departmental experts, end users of the solution in each department, from their IT department who later on will own the solution.
- The requirements will have to be collected and understood through different mode of interaction with the stakeholders. Stakeholders initially may not know very clearly about all their requirements. Some cases stakeholders may find it difficult to explain and articulate their requirements. The project manager and the team will have to drive this process of requirements gathering by facilitating and driving the process.
- Requirements are collected from groups of stakeholders and the final concurrence and agreement of requirements are also done with the group of stakeholders. Business Analysts and functional experts may be involved in this process. Below are some of the techniques which are used for requirement gathering
- Categorizing and grouping of ideas and requirements
- Prioritizing the requirements
Prepare The List Of Various Activities That Will Have To Be Performed During Closing Of Phase Or Project
Knowledge Area: Integration Management
Closing of phase or project logically is very important. All loose ends of the project or phase must be closed. Some of the important activities that will happen during closing of phase or project will include the following:
- Analyse and ensure that all the acceptance criteria of the project and product have been met
- Prepare and consolidate the final deliverable for handing over to the appropriate stakeholder or customer.
- Handover all documents such as training manuals etc. to the customer
- Close all financial dealings with suppliers and vendors of the project
- Formal sign off from customer
- Prepare a final project report which should detail out the story of the complete project for future reference
- Consolidate all lessons learnt and ensure that they are shared across the organization
- Archive all project records
- Do appraisal of performance of all team members and provide feedback to their respective functional managers and HR
- Recognize and reward all contributors of the project
- Release all equipment and resources
Read Also: Accounts Payable Test For Interview
What Are Some Of The Tools And Resources Youve Used To Develop Your Team
This is your chance to show your knowledge of some of the many different technologies that project managers use these days. Be sure to name any software programs, online tools, and other things that youve used to complete your daily tasks. Be sure also to explain that you are always open and eager to learn new tools or programs.
Where Do You See Yourself In Five Years Time
This is a top project manager interview question. The answer shows whether you have realistic expectations from the job you are applying for. It helps the interviewer check if your personal goals align with that of the company. If you are applying for an entry-level position, it might be too ambitious to say I want to be the CEO of this company. It helps to research the employment growth in the company and estimate where you could reach with your best performance in the next 5 years. On the other hand, if you are applying for a senior position, you can talk about how you wish to take the company forward and what your contribution towards that would be.
Don’t Miss: How To Prepare For A Bank Teller Interview
Are You Aware Of Conflict Management Techniques That Can Be Applied For Managing Conflicts Between Stakeholders And Team Members
Conflicts in a project are a result of disagreements between stakeholders and team members. They are common and the PM must tactfully intervene and resolve them to create an environment of trust and respect.
Conflict management techniques for a project manager include:
- Problem-solving/collaborating or confronting which is the best method to fix disputes
What Type Of Jobs Have Case Study Interviews
Case study interviews have been traditionally used as a part of the application process for associate-level jobs in the consultancy industry. These roles are usually directly involved in generating income for the business by collaborating with clients in a consultant capacity, so the case study interview is an in-depth work sample.
In recent times, case study interviews are also being used in the recruitment of analysts, where strategy and business acumen are needed alongside analytical skills for success in a job that provides detailed support for senior management in terms of internal problem solving and external profit growth.
You might also expect to deal with a case study interview if you are looking for a role in IT, especially at higher levels with some level of business-wide decision making. Managers in many industries might be provided with an employee-related case study to deal with as part of the interview process to assess leadership style and understanding of typical HR processes and procedures.
Despite Having Substantial Revenues A Firm That Manufactures Numerous Kinds Of Soda Has Discovered That It’s Operating At A Loss What Might Be The Causes Of This Situation
This is a business case question that hiring managers may use to examine your general business knowledge and how you can utilise your business knowledge logically to answer typical organisational-related challenges. It’s important that you take a well-rounded approach and think of all possible causes. The hiring manager would like to see your logical thought process and see how you can quickly come up with answers.
How Do You Manage Geographically Distributed Virtual Or International Team How Do You Maintain Team Spirit While You Have Distributed Virtual Team At Different Location
Knowledge Area:Resource Management
Virtual teams and international teams are a common phenomenon presently. Projects are global consisting of team members from across the globe. Project teams are geographically distributed, having the members operating from different locations.
Managing such distributed teams, it will be important to use technology effectively. Regular communication will be very important. Communication purpose, frequency and mechanism should be planned upfront. Colocation can also be used effectively as and when needed. These days it is possible to keep the team connected with proper communication planning
You May Like: Case Study Interview Questions For Business Analyst
Suppose The Customer Is Not Happy About The Quality Of The Project Outcomes How Do You Handle The Situation What Is Your Way Of Handling An Unhappy Stakeholder
As a project manager, you will be answerable when the customers are unhappy about the project outcomes. While you answer this project management interview question, you should be able to reveal how much you value the customers and that you would accept their authority without being critical. You can say that you will try to make the necessary modifications that the customer is looking for. You can explain the steps you have taken to ensure regular interaction with the customer throughout the project. Also, you can say that you will communicate effectively to make the customer understand that the outcomes are within the scope of the project.
What To Expect In A Case Study Interview
The ways by which a case study interview is conducted will vary by company. However, this format bears unique characteristics:
- Youll receive an introduction to the business problem, its relevant details and other information that lend to setting context. Some companies may choose to share a briefing document for you to read, while others may prefer to communicate the scenario in conversation.
- Information about the business problem will be, to some degree, vague. While the problem may cover complex business concepts, expect that the information will provide a high-level description of the scenario not detailed reports with specific facts and figures. Case study interviews present such information in general terms for a reason. Theyre meant to provide just enough information so that you can choose how to approach your line of questioning to solve the problem.
- The discussion about the business problem will be led by either the interviewer or the candidate. You need to be prepared for both situations. Who leads the conversation about the business problem is important, as it reveals the direction the discussion will take.
Candidate-led sessions are challenging because they give you the freedom to explain your best approach to tackle the entire problem, but without receiving the input or comments of others to help guide a conversation along.
Don’t Miss: System Design Interview Questions Leetcode
What Are The Three Key Challenges For Our Industry Today And How Can These Be Tackled Effectively
This question will test your knowledge about the project management industry. Not only should you describe three relevant challenges, but possible solutions as well. Good examples can include challenges youve had personal experience with, along with effective solutions that youve used.Think about the top challenges of the industry in which the organization operates. Your response will reveal your understanding of the industry, the market, current challenges, and possible solutions. This knowledge is critical to the success of any project manager, as you will be tackling these challenges inside the organization if you get hired.
What Questions To Ask In A Project Manager Interview
Asking the right questions can change how the recruiter thinks about you.
Examples of what questions to ask in a project manager interview:
- How does this project align with your companys objectives?
- Which Key Performance Issues are the most important ones for the company?
- Is it possible to develop ones career in this company? How likely is one employer to advance their career with your company?
CakeResume provides the best CV making tools & templates to help you create the perfect CV. Take your career journey to new heights – create a CV online now!
Recommended Reading: What Are The Interview Questions For Project Manager