Can You Tell Me About A Difficult Work Situation And How You Overcame It
This question is often used to assess how well you perform under pressure as well as your problem-solving abilities. Keep in mind stories are more memorable than facts and figures, so strive to show instead of tell. This is also an excellent opportunity to show your human side and how when faced with adversity you are able to persevere.
For this question, consider sticking to the STAR method:
Result or learning
Example answer:It was the first day of my bosss two-week vacation and our agencys highest-paying client threatened to leave because he didnt feel he was getting the personalized service he was promised. I spent my lunch hour on the phone with him talking through his concerns. We even brainstormed ideas for his next campaign. He was so grateful for the personal attention that he signed another six-month contract before my boss even returned from her trip.
Tell Me About Yourself
At the beginning of the conversation, your interviewer will likely start out by asking you about yourself. They are seeking to understand your qualifications, what led you to the job and generally why you think you’d be a good fit. The key here is making your answer concise and direct, including only professional information relevant to the job. Your answer should be structured as follows:
1. Start by describing your background with a summary of your most impressive responsibilities:“I’ve been a hostess at XYZ Restaurant for just over two years where I greet and seat customers, assess wait times, fulfill to-go orders and answer the phones. I love the lively and busy environmentwe often have Friday and Saturday wait times of one hour or more…
2. Next, briefly summarize your previous experience with key achievements:“…Before working at XYZ Restaurant, I worked in retail as a floor associate for five years. Working in retail developed the customer service skills that make me a great hostess, offering a top-tier dining experience from the moment customers walk in the door. It also equipped me with the ability to work quickly under pressure…”
Tips on responding to “Tell me about yourself:1. Start by discussing your current situation2. Work backward by hitting key points along your professional journey3. Connect your background, interests and qualifications back to the job
Apple Interview Process Overview
Apples software engineer interview process differs from other larger tech companies, like , due to the number of interviews they hold and their on-site process.
If you are asked to interview at Apple, the process generally looks like this:
Prescreen with Recruiter: It will take about a week from resume submission to first contact. A recruiter will usually reach out over LinkedIn or email to set up a time for a phone call. This phone screen will last from 15-30 minutes, and the questions will not be overly technical. You could expect questions like Why do you want to work for Apple? or Whats your favorite Apple product or service?
Technical phone interview: Usually a week later, they will schedule your next technical phone interview. There will be one or two technical phone screens with questions about your resume and a coding question on data structures and algorithms. The coding interviews are about 45-60 minutes, with 30 minutes to complete the challenge.
On-site interview: The onsite interview will last about 6 hours. Youll meet with 8-12 Apple employees, and interviews will be a mix of behavioral, domain knowledge, and coding challenges. Each interview is about 45 minutes to an hour where you will be posed with technical problems. Behavioral questions are also very important for hiring managers.
Also Check: What Are Star Interview Questions
Mirror Binary Tree Nodes
The goal of this exercise is to use depth first traversal and bottom up mirroring to mirror the nodes of a binary tree.
Problem statement: You are given the root node of a binary tree and must swap the left and right children for each node.
Try it yourself below before checking the solution.
We do a post order traversal of the binary tree. For every node, swap its left child with its right child. We use DFS on the tree, so that before returning from a node, all its children have been visited .
Runtime complexity: Linear,
O O in the worst case
Resources For The Higher Level Interview
For an idea of the kinds of questions youll find in this type of interview, check out our GitHub repo: Higher level discussion topics and questions.
Theres rarely a single correct answer to these questions, so my best recommendation is to stay current. Carve out some time during the week to read up on blog posts, tutorials or listen to some podcasts like:
You May Like: Is Interview Kickstart Worth It
How To Prepare For An Interview
Use these questions and example answers to prepare for your interview by making them your own and tailoring them to fit your experience, the job and the company youre interviewing for. Its important to get comfortable with what you could be asked and understand what a good response might be.
Much like preparing for a test in school, the best way to succeed in your interview is to study and practice. Research the company and the job, and practice your talking points until you feel confident about your answers. The more you prepare, the more likely you are to leave a lasting impression and outperform fellow candidates. Come equipped with examples of work from previous jobs, as well as ideas for the new job. Try and make the interview as conversational as possible by showing genuine interest in the job, company and your interviewer.
What Are Your Greatest Weaknesses
It can feel awkward to discuss your weaknesses in an environment where youre expected to focus on your accomplishments. However, when answered correctly, sharing your weaknesses shows that you are self-aware with an interest in continued growth and learningtraits that are extremely attractive to many employers. Consider using this formula for your response:
1. Select an actual weakness that is honest but professionally relevant:“Im naturally shy…
2. Add context:“…From high school and into my early professional interactions, it sometimes prevented me from speaking up…
3. Provide a specific example:“…After being a part of a workgroup that didnt meet our strategic goals two quarters in a row, I knew I owed it to my team and myself to confidently share my ideas…
4. Explain how you overcame or are working to overcome it:“…I joined an improv acting class. Its fun and has really helped me overcome my shyness. I learned practical skills around leading discussions and sharing diverse perspectives. Now, in group settings, I always start conversations with the quieter folks. I know exactly how they feel, and people can be amazing once they start talking.
You May Like: How To Start A Thank You Email After An Interview
Preparing For The Phone Screen
How do you prepare for the phone screen interview? Heres how:
- Look up common phone screen interview questions online. A typical question is: What made you apply for this position? Answering questions like those is 50% of the phone screen.
- Do research into the company youre applying to. Find out what theyre working on, what the companys aims are, and think about how youd fit in. Incorporate these insights in the entire developer interview .
- In typical phone screens, a hiring manager will ask for red flags, such as gaps in your résumé and changing employers often. Its smart to be prepared for such questions, but bear in mind that résumé gaps and changing employers often arent necessarily bad.
Its also a great idea if not a must to make your CV and application stand out. You dont have to be novel or unique to stand out. What about a video cover letter? It also helps to emphasize skills and achievements for a specific job, and customizing your CV for different industries or skillsets.
You can also ask questions to the interviewer. Thats a great idea, actually! It shows you care, that youre engaged in the process, and that youre genuinly interested in the work at hand. It also gives you an opportunity to get process-related questions out of the way, like When do I hear back about the position?
Two questions that are guaranteed to make a good impression are:
What Is The Difference Between Kvc And Kvo
KVC is a method for accessing an objects properties using strings at runtime rather than needing to know the property names statically at development time.KVO allows a controller or class to monitor changes in a property value. In KVO, an object may request to be informed of any adjustments to a particular property, and the observer is automatically notified if that propertys value changes.
What Is Cocoa And Cocoa Touch
Cocoa vs Cocoa Touch
|1. Application development environments for OS X
|1. Application development environments for iOS
|2. Includes the Foundation and AppKit frameworks
|2. Includes Foundation and UIKit frameworks
|3. Used to refer any class/object which is based on the Objective-C runtime & inherits from the root class
|3. Used to refer the application development using any programmatic interface
More about it here.
The Practical Coding Interview
This is the most important interview that we do, as it is meant to reflect how well the applicant will perform at the job. We give the applicant an app we call The Dragons Test, which is broken in known ways. We then give the applicant a list of bugs and grade the applicant not only on the solutions they use but on the time it takes them to complete the task.
Since our company provides iOS development services to large corporations, we aim to deliver solid results to our customers with a quick turnaround. So the coding interview is a crucial evaluation for us because it lets us determine what the person can be paid to remain profitable. Finding developers who can implement solid solutions very quickly is the holy grail of software interviews.
There is a delicate balance to be struck between attention to detail and completion time, but Id rather have someone who gets us 95% of the way there in 1/3rd of the time than someone who gets us 100% of the way there in more time. If there is one secret to how we consistently choose the top tier of our employees, it is this practical coding exercise.
Unfortunately , the best way to prepare for a practical coding interview is just experience. The more apps you make, the more likely it will be that you can develop code quickly and solidly. So keep practicing and learning! :]
Don’t Miss: How To Master Interview Questions
Who This Course Is For:
- Interviewees for IOS Developer jobs
- Anyone who would like gain deeper fundamental knowledge of IOS Development
- Anyone who is learning swift but has some exposure previously
- 4.3 Instructor Rating
- 16,303 Students
- 3 Courses
I am a Certified Blockchain Developer and 17 year software veteran. My experience spans several years in software quality assurance testing, recent experience in software development, sales, and startup management experience. I am currently constructing courses on Design Thinking, Python, UX Story Mapping, IOS development, and others. I have a B.S degree in Information Systems, an M.S. in Real Estate, M.A. in Graphic Communication Management Tech., and an M.B.A.
I am passionate about teaching others in a way that simplifies complex technical subjects. I would like to create the best online learning experiences for others and i am committed to achieving that goal.
Describe Managed Object Context And Its Function
A managed object context is a temporary scratchpad in an application for a related collection of objects. These objects collectively represent an internally consistent view of one or more persistent stores.
A single-managed object instance exists in one and only one context, but multiple copies of an object can exist in different contexts.
The key functions of the managed object context include the following:
- Life-cycle management: Here, the context provides validation, inverse relationship handling, and undo/redo.
- Notifications: It refers to context posts notifications at various points that can be optionally monitored elsewhere in our application.
- Concurrency: Here, the Core Data uses thread confinement to protect managed objects and managed object contexts.
Where Do You See Yourself In Five Years
Understanding how you imagine your life in the future can help employers understand whether the trajectory of the role and company fits in with your personal development goals. To answer this question you can:
Describe skills you want to develop and accomplishments youd like to achieve:
In five years, Id like to be an industry expert in my field, able to train and mentor students and entry-level designers alike. I would also like to gain specialized expertise in user experience to be a well-rounded contributor working with design and marketing teams on large-scale projects that make a difference both in the company and the global community.
Provide specific career goals including any dream roles or projects:
“Some of my future goals for the next few years include leading a design team in a formal capacity. Im also excited about the prospect of working with product and event teams on developing streamlined processesthis is a natural fit with my project management background. Id also like to further develop my skills in user experience to aid in creating more user-focused designs all around.
Preparing For The Higher Level Interview
This type of interview is difficult to prepare for because the best answers tend to come from experience. While you can read about these topics online, its hard to truly create a strong opinion if you havent tried them out yourself. In general, the best and most insightful answers to these questions come from describing how you handled real-life situations.
My recommendation to prepare for these is to:
You May Like: How To Crack Assistant Manager Interview
How To Prepare For The Uber Interview
To prepare the the Uber Interview, I would recommend you use the following frameworks:
For the marketing case interview, I’d recommend developing a marketing plan using The Big Picture Framework. It has nine different parts, but to simplify, we can condense the Big Picture Framework into three main categories.
This framework works, whether it’s for Uber, or as one of the question’s listed here denotes, for Uber’s competitor.
- Goals . What are the business and marketing goals? Is it to increase profits or more likely, to drive market share? How much time do you have to achieve the goal, and what are the core competencies to emphasize? Thinking in terms of the marketing funnel, should the marketing plan focus on awareness? Or is it to drive trial?
- Customer Strategy . What are the possible customer segments? Which segment is ideally suited for us? And what value proposition will resonate with them?
- . What are optimal channels to target the customer? Online or offline? What advertising and promotional ideas should we consider? Do we have any say in the product pricing or product offering?
If you’re looking for more marketing case practice questions or more information about the Big Picture marketing framework, I’d recommend this book, The Marketing Interview.
PR Interview Questions
- What is the new product or policy change?
- How is it going to affect the reader? How do you use the product?
- Why is this beneficial?
Motivation For The Job
First and foremost, make sure that you actually want to work for this company. This means doing a fair amount of research on their products and the company itself.
- Spend time on the company website.
- Look at reviews on Glassdoor.
- Talk to people in your network who have worked there.
As you do your research, keep a running document of things you like, things you dont like, things you would improve and how your experience can benefit the company. Take screenshots, record links, make some bullet points. It doesnt have to be perfectly structured, but its super important to record these thoughts because your memory will fail you.
Keeping a document on a company youre interviewing with is particularly important as you progress through the interview rounds. Each round will give you another data point to add. If you have everything captured in a document at the end, you can leverage it when making your final decision.
Heres a job interview template with an example to get you started.
Doing this will allow you to successfully answer questions interviewers will undoubtedly ask you like:
- Why do you want to work here?
- Why are you leaving your current role?
- What do you think about our product and how would you improve it?
- Why should we hire you?
One key thing to keep in mind, especially if youre interviewing at multiple companies, is to never give a generic response. Back up your answers with company-specific, personal examples.
You May Like: What Is A Job Interview Like